Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chidyatapu- Don't miss this one

For a long time, I have been thinking of writing about my trip to Andaman Islands. Somehow, Andaman wasn’t what I had expected. Having heard so much about its beauty, my expectations had risen.
As we reached Port Blair, we were hounded by the hustle and bustle of the city life. There were crowded markets and the city plan seems to have gone haywire. With each blow of smoke, I could see my expectations crumbling. I felt something was amiss. The Andaman that I was seeing was not what I wanted. I yearned for tranquility, a place where I could admire the greatest architect of all times-the almighty. But to my dismay, every place had been infiltrated by mankind. Even the islands weren’t spared. For instance, the Viper Island was occupied with remnants of prison and courtroom. On Ross Island, one could see the remains of a Church, a tennis court, barracks to mention a few.

Then one fine day, we were taken to a place which was around two hours away from the main city. As we cut through the hills with great speed, I could sense the freshness of the air. With wind gushing across my face, I could see the green hills with isolated homes-some kucha, some pakka-nevertheless accentuating the beauty of the place. The slender curves of the road, coupled with the greenery of the place, made it a memorable ride.
Finally, the wonderful journey ended and our cab came to a halt. I was somewhat disappointed. I wished the journey could be just a little longer. But now looking at the vast emptiness of the place with trees half uprooted, with large rocks floating on the blue sea, I thought this was ‘the place’. It was CHIDYATAPU.

7 comments:

DEVesh said...

Nyc wrk!!! especially d lines "There were crowded........Even the islands werent spared" really describes the reality of evry city.Agar apni bhaasha mein kaha jaye toh ....
Lekhika ne antim panktiyon mein shabdon ke madhyam se jagah ka rekha chitra prastut karne ka safal prayaas kiya hai...bole toh..gud wrk...ur wrds speak more dan dey usually do...par the end is sudden n abrupt..par forgiven..hehe.. cz the rest iz jus too gud..WELL DONE!!

anchal dhupar said...

i like the way u described your journey....a little more description would have added more beauty to the experience.....

Rozita Singh said...

i saw this documentary on andaman,it showd how the tribes their are losing their culture!they are deeply saddened by the arrival of mankind there!With each passing day they are losing their identity.....Ur piece reminds me of the same!the 1nce quiet,serene,calm 'Andaman' has been encroached by hustle-bustle like that of a city......

parul said...

i guess we all are on our way to become great journalist!
keep it up!

vyaas said...

nice one though looks like a summary to some travellouge!! expectin more of it !! :)
keep up the egud work !!

SSS said...

i wonder if i could also go there :)

Shrinath Vashishtha said...

Thanks for sharing... TO KNOW THE REAL ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS, I WOULD LIKE TO INVITE YOU AND OTHER FRIENDS TO MY BLOG--- "ANDAMAN & NICOBAR - THE HISTORICAL INDIAN CORAL ISLANDS". Just visit me at --- "http://zillion2ndinnings.blogspot.com" and I would love to hear your enlightened comments...